A ductless mini-split requires routine maintenance like any other HVAC system. There are many cleaning tasks you can do. A mini-split cleaning service can manage the more complex stuff. During a maintenance visit, a trained technician can perform a deep cleaning that’s more comprehensive than a regular home cleaning.
How to Clean a Mini-Split Yourself
You can clean your mini-split if you’re comfortable doing so. Turn the system off to ensure your safety. Here are some ways to keep the system clean:
- Clean dirt and dust off the cabinet with a dry cloth or small vacuum
- Check and clean the indoor unit’s filter every 4 to 6 weeks
- Remove leaves and other debris from the outdoor cabinet
- Trim shrubs to provide at least 2 feet of clearance around it
- Clean dirt/debris in the coil and fins using a garden hose at medium pressure
What a Professional Can Do
When providing a mini-split cleaning service, an HVAC technician is more thorough and can reach deeper parts of the system. Maintenance service includes inspecting, cleaning, or replacing air filters depending on the type of filter and the system’s requirements. A professional will also:
- Clean the fan, evaporator coil, and removable parts of the indoor unit
- Apply a commercial coil cleaner and perform a light rinse of the indoor coil
- Use professional-grade cleaning solutions to clean the condensing unit and outdoor coil
- Treat the coil with a bacteriostat or fungistat compound
- Inspect refrigerant lines, electrical connections, mounting hardware, and other components
During a cleaning service, a technician will protect sensitive electronics and other components to prevent short-circuiting. We use non-toxic cleaning solutions and techniques that avoid damage. Specialized equipment helps collect and dispose of cleaning fluids and ensure they don’t come into contact with walls or furnishings. The unit is then dried and tested to ensure it works properly.
Why Does My Mini-Split Need a Deep Cleaning?
A mini-split cleaning service can yield the following benefits:
- Increased Performance/Efficiency: A clogged filter, dirty blower unit, and buildup on coils can reduce heating and cooling performance and decrease energy efficiency. Using specialized tools and equipment, a professional can access hard-to-reach spots and remove dust, dirt, and debris.
- Improved Air Quality: Airborne particulates aren’t the only hazard. Accumulated materials can interfere with temperature, moisture, and humidity control, further reducing indoor air quality. A technician can clear drain lines when dirt and moisture form a muddy blockage. They can also remove mold and mildew along with their associated odors.
- Fewer Health Risks: Many air contaminants, including mold, can pose a risk to your health. Poor indoor air quality may result in increased allergies, asthma attacks, and other medical issues. Cleaning a mini-split keeps your HVAC system free of pollutants that can make people sick. It can reduce symptoms such as runny nose, coughing, soreness, fatigue, headache, and more.
- Cost Savings: Deep cleaning a mini-split improves system efficiency. The strain caused by dust and dirt in the coil and blower unit causes it to consume more electricity. Therefore, cleaning reduces power consumption and saves on your energy bills. It also protects internal parts from freezing, overheating, and other triggers of damage so you won’t pay for costly replacement parts.
- Longer Equipment Life: Accumulated dirt can prevent the fan from cooling large components. Restricted airflow can cause the system to break down. Cleaning resolves issues that lead to strain and premature failure and can extend the life of your mini-split system. Therefore, it can delay having to replace the unit.
Schedule Mini-Split Cleaning Service with Oregon Ductless
We provide ductless maintenance services in Portland, Milwaukie, Tualatin, and surrounding areas. Routine maintenance improves indoor air quality, system performance, and efficiency. Our certified HVAC specialists will examine and clean your ductless unit every one to three years depending on your needs and what the system manual specifies. Call 503-755-5332 to schedule your mini-split cleaning service and learn how we can help improve indoor air quality.